I know I am a week or two late on this post, but two weeks ago I had a head cold that turned in to a horrible sinus infection. And since this month I vowed to focus on myself, I thought it was appropriate to spend my free time snuggled up in a blanket and resting. It turns out not wanting to do anything but lay on the couch after work allowed me the time to catch up on my YouTube beauty subscriptions.
I love makeup and am actually quite good at doing not only my own makeup but also doing other people’s makeup too. I have done the bride and bridal party’s makeup for a friend’s wedding last year and have done makeup for family members on different occasions. But mostly I love Halloween makeup. That is when I get to be my most creative. My boyfriend has even let me do his makeup a Halloween or two.
Many times in the last 15 years I thought of going back to school to become a makeup artist but I always chickened out due to lack of resources. I also thought about starting my own YouTube channel and even filmed a makeup tutorial once. But I took one look at the video footage and thought “No Way”! The video itself wasn’t bad, but have you ever heard yourself on an answering machine and thought, “ugh…my voice sounds horrible! Is that really how I sound? How can anyone stand talking to me?” That’s what it was like for me times ten when I watched my video and attempted to edit it. Even now, I get all embarrassed for myself just thinking about it. Being in front of the camera is not just for me, at least not any time soon, lol.
I did realize, however, that watching makeup tutorials is a dangerous habit for me. You see, I am trying very hard to pay off my debt in the next three years and watching videos of all the latest makeup products makes me want to buy, buy, buy. In the last few days, I have caught myself going to websites and adding products to my cart only to delete the cart before checking out. It’s like there is an angel and a devil sitting on my shoulders whispering in my ear. But that is a topic for a whole other post.
So back to YouTube. I have been a YouTube watcher for about 5 or 6 years now and have quite a few YouTubers that I love. Some I have found through Pinterest and some I have found through other YouTubers. I am very particular about who I choose to spend my time with. Their videos need to be entertaining, specific and easy to follow, and the YouTuber cannot be over-dramatic and in your face. I like genuine people who don’t take themselves too seriously. If for some horrible reason YouTube only let you subscribe to ten channels these are the channels I would choose:
Top 10 YouTube Beauty Channels
- The Small Things Blog – Kate has amazing and easy to follow hair tutorials. She seems like the kind of person that is genuinely nice to everyone.
- Kathleen Lights – Down to Earth and hilarious and her makeup is dramatic without being drag queen.
- Nicole Guerriero – Love her car ride chronicles, makeup is amazing and keeps me laughing with her facial expressions and impromptu karaoke.
- LolaMarie7 – Love her early hair tutorials and her sense of style
- Jaclyn Hill – Jaclyn can be a bit too much at times but her makeup is amazing if you can get past all the highlighter.
- Wayne Goss – He super knowledgeable about different products but tends to use high end make up. Hi tutorials are on point.
- The Beauty Vault – This chick cracks me up with her candor and unapologetic potty mouth.
- Makeup Geek– Love the brand and quality of products. Marlena is too cute and her tutorials are super easy to follow.
- FrouFrou412 – She has great hair tutorials and is super cute. She also sings and plays the guitar.
- Sharon Farrell– Sharon’s makeup tutorials are easy to follow and great for every day makeup. Plus I love her accent.
Who are your favorite YouTube personalities? I would love to check them out.